With increasing globalization, many companies rely on a supply chain that is on the other side of the world to ship parts, components or finished products. When something goes wrong in that supply chain, those companies often experience serious financial losses and customer problems. This growing phenomenon has resulted in the development of an international security management system for the supply chain with the publication of ISO 28000.
ISO 28000 offers organizations whose business relates to the logistics industry, a framework to identify each aspect that is critical to the security assurance of their supply chains. These include financing, manufacturing and information management. Facilities for packing, storing and transferring goods on their way to locations via various modes of transportation are also included in this standard.
ISO 28000 is suitable to all sizes and types of organizations involved in purchasing, manufacturing, service, storage, transportation and/or sales processes wishing to implement and maintain a secure management system for their supply chain.
Developed in response to the need by the transportation and logistics industries for a commonly applicable security management, ISO 28000 is increasingly becoming the standard for companies in many other industries needing to assess security risks, implement controls, and better manage potential security threats and issues related to the supply chain. Stakeholders, especially customers, also benefit from improvements to quality and safety that the ISO 28000 management system provides.
What Certification Does
· Provides consistent approach by service providers within the supply chain
· Manages risk by aiding in assessment, implementation of controls, and mitigating management of potential threats to security and effects from the supply chain
· Integrates easily via a “plan-do-check-act” based management system modeled on the successful ISO 14001 standard
· Enhances security risk assessment, asset protection and inventory management
· Assures supply continuity for sustainable business development and reduction of time to delivery
· Reduces losses of theft during exportation, importation and transport
· Complies with other official trade and supply chain processes, including AEO and C-TPAT
· Manages security as a process that results in the ability to measure and improve it
· Focuses resources and efforts on high-risk concerns through security risk assessment
· Gives management the ability to benchmark its security management efforts utilizing international standards
· Improves stakeholder confidence by demonstrating more robust and secure supply chain management
· Enhances customer satisfaction by demonstrating ability to meet their specific requirements
· Makes the organization a supplier of choice by demonstrating the organization’s capability to manage security issues within the supply chain
· Demonstrates systematic security supply chain management
· Develops business cooperation along the supply chain
· Shortens customs clearance time and reduced secondary inspections
Certification – IPS partners with leaders in the supply chain security management system certification industry with over 30 years of experience. Our experience of international security assessments from carrying out audits at US and International Ports as well as logistics operations worldwide. Our multi- lingual staff provides guidance and expertise to help our clients manage security risks and assure continuity of the supply chain.
Training – IPS provides training to organizations to perfect a sustainable security management system to be set up, maintained and certified. Training includes
· Introduction to ISO 28000
· Implementation of an ISO 28000 Security Management System
· ISO 28000 Internal Auditor Training